Research – Surface Disinfection
- Effectiveness of a steam cleaning unit for disinfection in a veterinary hospital. Cheryl L. Wood, Benjamin D. Tanner, Laura A. Higgins, Jeffrey S. Dennis. L. Luempert. Am. J Vet. Res, Dec; 75(12) 1083-8. 2014.
- Evaluation of a Pulsed-Xenon Ultraviolet Room Disinfection Device for Impact on Contamination Levels of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Jinadatha C, Quezada R, Huber T, Williams J, Zeber J, Copeland L. BMC Infectious Diseases 2014, 14:187.
- Routine Incorporation of Pulsed Xenon UV (PX-UV) after Standard Cleaning of Rooms Previously Occupied by Patients with C. difficile (C. diff.) or Vancomycin Resistant Enterococci (VRE) Infections or Colonizations. Shashank S. Ghantoji, MD, MPH, Mark Stibich, PhD, MHS, Julie Stachowiak PhD, MPH, MIA, Dimpy P. Sha, MD, MSPH, Sarah Simmons, MPH, Ben Tanner, PhD, Cheryl Perego, MPH, CIC, Sherry Cantu, MPH, CIC, Roy F. Chemaly, MD, MPH. (Poster, 2013).
- Evaluation of a Pulsed-xenon Ultraviolet Room Disinfection Device for Impact on Hospital Operations and Microbial Reduction. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. Stibich M, Stachowiak J, Tanner B, Berkheiser M, Moore L, Raad I, Chemaly RF. 2011 Mar;32(3):286-8.
- Reduction in the Microbial Load on High-touch Surfaces in Hospital Rooms by Treatment with a Portable Saturated Steam Vapor System. American Journal of Infection Control. Jonathan D. Sexton, Benjamin D. Tanner, Sheri L. Maxwell, Charles P. Gerba. 2011. Oct;39(8):655-62.
- Reduction in Infection Risks through Treatment of Microbially Contaminated Surfaces with a Novel, Portable Steam Vapor Disinfection System. Benjamin D. Tanner. American Journal of Infection Control. 2009. 37(1):20-27.
Research – Water Microbiology and Disinfection
- Concentration and recovery of viruses from water: a comprehensive review. Ikner, L.A., C.P. Gerba, and K.R. Bright. 2012. Food and Environmental Virology. 4: 41-67
- New method using a positively charged microporous filter and ultrafiltration for concentration of viruses from tap water. Ikner, L.A., M. Soto-Beltran, and K.R. Bright. 2011. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 77: 3500-3506.
- Update on outbreaks of Cryptosporidium Associated with Swimming Pools. Journal of the Swimming Pool and Spa Industry. Benjamin D. Tanner and Charles P. Gerba. In Press, 2008.
- Electrochemically Generated Ozone for the Disinfection of Water and Wastewater. Tanner BD, Kuwahara S, Gerba CP and Reynolds KA. 2004. Evaluation of Water Science and Technology. 50(1):12-25. IWA Publishing.
- Outbreaks of Legionnaires’ Disease and Pontiac Fever due to Recreational Whirlpools and Spas. Journal of the Swimming Pool and Spa Industry. Benjamin D. Tanner and Charles P. Gerba. 2004.
- Application of the Ct Concept for Determining the Disinfection of Microorganisms in Water. Journal of the Swimming Pool and Spa Industry. Benjamin D. Tanner and Charles P. Gerba. 2004. Volume 5: (1) 8-14.
- Evaluation of Electrochemically Generated Ozone for the Disinfection of Water and Wastewater. Journal of the International Water Association (Health and Water Related Microbiology). Benjamin D. Tanner, Charles P. Gerba, and Kelly R. Reynolds. 2003.
Research – Aeromicrobiology and Risk Assessment
- Bioaerosol Generation and Occupational Risk Resulting from Land Application of Class B Biosolids.Benjamin D. Tanner, John P. Brooks, Charles P. Gerba, Charles N. Haas, and Ian L. Pepper. Journal of Environmental Quality. 2008. Volume 37:2311-2321.
- Bioaerosol Emission Rate and Plume Characteristics During Land Application of Class B Liquid Biosolids. Environmental Science and Technology. Benjamin D. Tanner, John P. Brooks, Charles P. Gerba, and Ian L. Pepper. 2005. Volume 39: 1584-90.
- Estimation of Bioaerosol Risk of Infection to Residents Adjacent to a Land Applied Biosolids Site Using an Empirically Derived Transport Model. Journal of Applied Microbiology. John P. Brooks, Benjamin D. Tanner, Charles P. Gerba, Charles N. Haas, and Ian L. Pepper. 2005.
- The measurement of aerosolized endotoxin from land application of Class B biosolids in Southeast Arizona. Brooks JP, Tanner BD, Gerba CP, Pepper IL. Can J Microbiol. 2006 Feb;52(2):150-6.
- A national study on the residential impact of biological aerosols from the land application of biosolids.Brooks JP, Tanner BD, Josephson KL, Gerba CP, Haas CN, Pepper IL. J Appl Microbiol. 2005;99(2):310-22.
- Estimation of bioaerosol risk of infection to residents adjacent to a land applied biosolids site using an empirically derived transport model. Brooks JP, Tanner BD, Gerba CP, Haas CN, Pepper IL. J Appl Microbiol. 2005;98(2):397-405.
- Bioaerosols from the land application of biosolids in the desert southwest USA. Brooks JP, Tanner BD, Josephson KL, Gerba CP, Pepper IL. Water Sci Technol. 2004;50(1):7-12.
Research – Fungi
- Conidiation Color Mutants of Aspergillus fumigatus Are Highly Pathogenic to the the Heterologous Insect Host Galleria mellonella. Jackson, J.C.; Higgins, L.A.; Lin, X.2008. PloS One, 4(1);e4224.
Research – Microbial Ecology
- Culturable microbial diversity and the impact of tourism in Kartchner Caverns, Arizona. Ikner, L.A., R.S. Toomey, G. Nolan, J.W. Neilson, B.M. Pryor, and R.M. Maier. 2007. Microbial Ecology. 53: 30-42